What follows is a very easy step by step process on how to do Umrah prepared by Sh. Muhammad Alshareef. You can also download a brochure style one page double sided printable PDF version of the guide below by clicking here. My family used this very guide to do our very first Umrah on our own without any help from anyone. That is how easy to follow and helpful this guide was to my family and I.
I am sharing it here so others may benefit as well. Be sure that you print the printable PDF guide in a double sided format so that you can fold it like a brochure. I also have a similar guide for Hajj on my blog. Let me know if it was helpful in the comments section below!
STAGE 1 – IHRAM AT THE MEEQAT
1 – Go to the Meeqat
- If you are going from Madinah, the Meeqat is a place called Dhul-Hulayfah; a large Masjid on the outskirts of Madinah.
- Shave you’re underarms and pubic hairs and cut your nails before going.
- Note: If you are arriving in the Jeddah airport and are proceeding directly to Makkah to perform Umrah, the airplane will pass the Meeqat before you land. Therefore, you must complete steps 2-6 before the airplane lands. The pilot usually announces it over the speaker when he reaches the Meeqat.
2 – Take a shower, remove all clothes and wear two white towels
- The Dhul-Hulayfah Masjid is well-equipped with washing facilities. However, you may shower in your hotel room before going to the Meeqaat.
- If you are putting on Ihram on an airplane, you should shower before boarding the airplane.
- With the towel, cover both shoulders at this point.
3 – Enter the prayer hall and pray 2 rak’a
- If an obligatory prayer is in process, join them. If not, pray with the intention of Sunnat al Wudu.
4 – Now, make a vocal intention for Umrah
- Say: Labbayk Allahumma Umrah, which means O Allah, I am answering you’re call to perform Umrah.
5 – After making this intention, you have entered in to the state of IHRAM
- In Ihram, the following restrictions apply:
a. Do not cut your hair
b. Do not trim your nails
c. Do not apply perfume (including scented soap, shampoo, or wet towels that come with meals)
d. Do not wear gloves
e. Do not touch your wife/husband with desire
f. Do not perform intercourse
g. Do not consummate a marriage contract
h. Do not hunt any wild animals
- Specific for Men:
• Do not cover your head, not even with your Ihram towel
• Do not wear clothes sewn to the shape of your body. That includes undergarments.
- Specific for Women:
• Do not cover your face or hands. However, in the presence of men you may cover your face as Aisha used to do.
6 – Begin reciting the TALBIYAH
- The Talbiyah is: Labbayk Allaahumma Labbayk / Labbayka Laa shareeka laka labbayk / Inn alhamda wan-Ni’mata laka wal-mulk / laa shareeka lak (Here I am at your service, O Allah / You have no partners, here I am at your service, O Allah / Verily, all praise and grace belongs to you, and the kingdom / You have no partner)
7 – Proceed to the Haram in Makkah
- While traveling, shorten and join prayers. Continue to recite the Talbiyah out loud throughout the trip.
8 – Enter the Haram with your right foot
- While entering say: Bismillaah (In the name of Allah) was-Salaatu was-salaamu ‘ala Rasoolillaah (and may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon Allah’s Messenger) Allahumma iftah-li abwaaba Rahmatik (O Allah, open for me the doors of your Mercy)
9 – Now, uncover your right shoulder and proceed to the Black Stone
- Slip the Ihraam towel under your right underarm, from the back. Then throw it over your left shoulder, from the front.
STAGE 2 – TAWAF (CIRCLING AROUND THE KA’BAH)
10 (a) – Point and face your open hand towards the Black Stone and say: Allahu Akbar!
- It is Sunnah that you kiss the Black stone. But, due to the crowd, you may not get the chance, therefore, pointing suffices.
- Touch if you can, but do not kiss, the Yemeni corner of the Ka’bah (the corner left of the Black Stone corner)
10 (b) – Begin Tawaf (go around the Ka’bah 7 times)
- Each time you complete one circle and find yourself in-line with the Black Stone, face an open hand at it and say Allahu Akbar!
- You must have Wudu for the entire Tawaf
- The first three times around the Ka’bah should be done in a fast walking pace if possible
- You may recite Qur’an, do Dhikr, or make Du’a. There is nothing specific that you must say
STAGE 3 – TWO RAK’AT AT THE STATION OF IBRAHEEM
11 – Go to Maqami Ibraheem
- Recite the verse:
وَاتَّخِذُوا مِن مَّقَامِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ مُصَلًّى ۖ
(And take of the station of Ibraheem as a place of prayer (2:125)
12 – Pray Two Rak’at
- If the spot is crowded, back up and pray in a comfortable area
13 – Go to the Zamzam fountains
- Drink ZamZam, pour it over your head, and make dua.
14 – Return to Black Stone and kiss it if you can
- If crowded, face an open hand and say Allahu Akbar!
STAGE 4 – SA’I BETWEEN SAFA AND MARWA
15 – Proceed to Mt. Safa
- As you near it, recite the verse:
إِنَّ الصَّفَا وَالْمَرْوَةَ مِن شَعَائِرِ اللَّهِ ۖ فَمَنْ حَجَّ الْبَيْتَ أَوِ اعْتَمَرَ فَلَا جُنَاحَ عَلَيْهِ أَن يَطَّوَّفَ بِهِمَا ۚ وَمَن تَطَوَّعَ خَيْرًا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ شَاكِرٌ عَلِيمٌ
Verily the Safa and Marwa are among the signs of Allah. Anyone who goes on Hajj to the House or visits (it) will not be blamed if he runs along between them. With anyone who volunteers some good, Allah is Appreciative, Aware (2:158)
16 – Stand on Mt. Safa and face the Ka’bah
- Note: While it is highly recommended that one has wudu during Sa’i, it is not a must. You may perform Sa’i without wudu.
17 – While standing on the mountain, face the Ka’bah and say: Laa ilaaha illa Allah Wahdahu laa Sharika lah. Lah ul-Mulk. Wa lah ul-Hamd. Wa huwa ‘ala Kulli shay’in Qadeer. Laa ilaaha illa Allah. Anjaza wa’dah. Wa Nasara ‘abdah. Wa hazam al-Ahzaba wahdah (There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah. Alone. He has no partner. To Him belongs the kingdom. And all praise belongs to Him. And He has power above all things. There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah. He fulfilled His promise. Granted victory to His servant. And alone He defeated the allied army.)
18 – Make your own Du’a
- Pray for anything from the goodness of this life and the next. Pray for both yourself and others.
19 – Repeat steps 17-18 two more times
- Enjoy the process. You’ve come all this way, open your heart in glorification and Dua to Allah!
20 – Leave Mt. Safa and walk to Mt. Marwa
- After 20% of the way you’ll see green lights above. Begin jogging until you reach the other set of green lights
21 – Stand on the incline of Mt. Marwa
- Repeat steps 17-18 three times
22 – Continue back and forth between Safa and Marwa until you’ve completed seven. If you’ve counted correctly, you should end at Marwa
- Steps 16 to 20 = one SA’I. Marwa back to Safa = two. Safa back to Marwa = three; And so on. Note: At each mountain repeat steps 17-18 three times. Remember to jog every time you pass through the valley between Safa and Marwa (marked by the green lights above).
STAGE 5 – SHAVE OR TRIM HAIR
23 – After completing all seven sa’i, shave or trim your hair
- Specific to women: Cut a centimeter of hair, more or less
24 – Mabrook! Your Umrah is now complete
- All the items in step 5 are now permissible again. Pray that Allah accepts your Umrah